Community Resources

Below are community-based resources and programs available for neighbors.

For immediate medical, criminal, fire, hazard or safety assistance, call 911. For non-emergency police assistance, contact Grand Rapids Police Department’s team captain Terry Dixon at 616-456-4489 or

Police Non-Emergency

Request copies of accident or incident reports, background checks, residential alarm permits. Report identity theft or any issue that is Non-Emergency and may require an officer to be dispatched. Phone number: 616-456-3400

Residential Safety Assessment Program

Homeowners can get a free home safety inspection, including installation of free carbon monoxide detectors and smoke detectors. Call 311 to get your home on the schedule. Landlords are responsible for installing smoke alarms. If you rent, check the back of your alarms. If they are more than 10 years old they should be replaced.


Report crimes or damage done to property that doesn’t require immediate officer assistance but may require a report for insurance claims. Phone number: 616-456-3403

Graffiti Hotline

Phone number: 616-456-3666

Silent Observer

Silent Observer is a program that allows you to report criminal activity anonymously. Phone number: 616-774-2345

Grand Rapids Housing Commission
Visit the Grand Rapids Housing Commission website for information about housing resources including emergency housing assistance, eviction and foreclosure prevention assistance, and more.
Home Repair Services
Home Repair Services offers resources and programs for homeowners to help them care for and repair their homes.
Homeless Outreach Team (HOT)
Residents and business owners can contact HOT to report concerns regarding street homelessness. Call 616-456-4240 or email If you are experiencing a housing emergency or you or someone you know is about to become homeless, call United Way’s 211 phone line to get connected with agencies in the community who can help.
AYA Youth Collective
AYA Youth Collectivecreates safe spaces for youth facing homelessness or another crisis to belong
2080 Union Community Land Trust
Learn about eligibility and the application process.
Need resources
Need Resources

Below are resources offered through the City of Grand Rapids.

Call 311

The City of Grand Rapids 311 line is a convenient single point of contact for non-emergency government information about City of Grand Rapids services or programs, or to make a request for service. Call 311 to report Grand Rapids utilities issues and seek guidance on services and payment options.

Waste and Recycling Information

Visit the City of Grand Rapids Public Works Department website to find out information about refuse cart pick up and yard waste collection.

Insert resources

Dispute Resolution Center of West Michigan

A service to help neighbors resolve disputes outside of court. Visit or call 616-774-0121 for more information.

Insert resources

Grand Rapids Pride Center

Grand Rapids Pride Center website

Below are services for older neighbors seeking support with housing, health care, food, transportation, and other needs.

Senior Neighbors

Senior Neighbors is an organization that provides services for older adults, including case management, emergency needs assistance, food and meals, health screening, legal assistance, recreational opportunities, transportation and volunteer opportunities.

678 Front Ave. NW, Suite 205
Grand Rapids, MI 49504

Phone number: 616-459-6019

Meals on Wheels of Western Michigan

This program provides a variety of nutrition services for seniors, including home-delivered meals, senior food pantries and congregate meal sites. Meals on Wheels operates on-site Dining Centers at three GRHC senior apartment communities.

2900 Wilson Ave. SW, Suite 500
Grandville, MI 49418

Phone: 616-459-3111

Area Agency on Aging of Western Michigan

The Area Agency on Aging of Western Michigan offers a variety of resources to help older adults live independently.

3215 Eaglecrest Drive NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49525

Phone number: (616) 456-5664 or (888) 456-5664